Koch Apprenticeship Program
About the Program
The Koch Apprenticeship program provides an opportunity for people from any background or experience level with natural aptitudes and interest in accounting or tax to participate in an education process that has potential to result in meaningful full-time employment.
The program removes opportunity barriers associated with requiring a four-year college degree and provides hands-on, applied learning experiences. Talented professionals from both WSU Tech and Koch will guide apprentices through an accelerated 18-month program in Wichita, home of Koch’s global headquarters.
Koch will cover educational expenses throughout Phase One, where students will focus on foundational business and accounting concepts. Students will also receive complementary instruction from Koch’s Talent Development capability, Koch U, that will focus on connecting students to Koch’s management philosophy, Market-Based Management ®.
Upon successful completion of Phase One, apprentices will begin Phase Two, where they will complete remaining WSU and Koch U coursework, while also working 20-25 hours each week alongside accountants and tax professionals.
Upon successful completion of Phase Two, apprentices will receive a Technical Certificate in Accounting recognized by the Kansas Board of Regents, as well as consideration for full-time employment as a staff accountant or tax analyst at Koch companies. Starting pay is commensurate with that of other tax and accounting professionals.
About Koch Industries
Based in Wichita, Kansas, Koch Industries, Inc. is one of the largest private companies in America, with estimated annual revenues greater than $115 billion, according to Forbes. It owns a diverse group of companies involved in refining, chemicals, and biofuels; forest and consumer products; fertilizers; polymers and fibers; process and pollution control systems; electronics, software and data analytics; minerals; glass; automotive components; commodity trading; and investments.
Since 2003, Koch companies have invested more than $130 billion in growth and improvement projects with more than $30 billion invested in technology since 2013. With a presence in more than 70 countries, Koch companies employ 122,000 people worldwide, with about 62,000 of those in the United States. From January 2009 to present, Koch companies have earned more than 1,300 awards for safety, environmental excellence, community stewardship, innovation, and customer service. For more news and information, visit www.KOCHind.com.
Accounting Careers at Koch
As a global company spanning multiple industries, Koch Industries continues to transform the way we do business. In an accounting or tax role at Koch, you’ll be right in the middle of finding new ways to move the world forward. Because opportunities here are based on your unique capabilities, your development, well-being and fulfillment are your supervisor's main priorities as you find new and exciting ways to contribute.
As an apprentice, you will work alongside experienced accountants and analysts to solve real problems and offer insights that make a difference in the world. In addition to being a contributor on the accounting and finance team, apprentices at Koch companies explore our unique Market-Based Management® culture, learn key business concepts and Koch mental models, and engage with leaders to learn more about business transformation, our work in society, and more.
Our entry-level accounting and tax positions provide meaningful work and the ability to contribute immediately. We start by working with each new employee to help them build a solid foundation of the core principles of our company, the culture, and our accounting and tax processes. The typical apprentice entry points into one of our Koch companies could involve:
- Financial reporting and analysis to learn about internal and external reporting, our businesses, competitive position, market analysis, variance analysis, working capital optimization, and technical accounting research, just to name a few.
- Accounting, including tax accounting and processes, to learn the foundational aspects of accounting by working with our transactional accounting systems, cash management and forecasting processes, tax compliance, and balance sheet reconciliations.
- Mid- and back-office accounting functions that supports physical and financial trading operations and business optimization strategies.
- Tax strategy and planning support, providing the opportunity to learn more about federal, state, and international taxation by providing support and analysis to, and collaborating with, our tax accountants and attorneys.
How it Works
December 2 - 15
Timing is flexible based on experience/previous college credit.
Jan. 2022 – Dec. 2022
- Foundational coursework offered through WSU Tech & Koch U.
- Full-time student commitment until foundational coursework is completed.
- Upon completion of Phase One coursework, paid apprenticeship begins with a Koch company (20-25 hours each week).
- Continue remaining coursework part time until completed.
- Apprenticeship program participants eligible for full-time employment with Koch companies within accounting/tax.
Koch will cover Phase One education-related expenses for all individuals accepted into the program. Apprentices will be paid during their employment throughout Phase Two. Those who successfully complete the program and are extended and accept an offer of full-time employment will receive competitive compensation, inclusive of a signing bonus sufficient to offset Phase Two education-related expenses and become eligible for Koch Benefits.
- Able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
- Starting in January 2022, be able to meet the demands of a full-time student and be enrolled in the WSU Tech Accounting Certificate Program.
- Availability to work 20-25 hours with Koch Industries beginning January 2023 with intent to pursue full-time employment fall 2023, dependent on successful completion of Phase 1 coursework and Phase 2 apprenticeship/coursework.
What Will Put You Ahead
- Initiative, natural curiosity, strong communication skills, and an aptitude for fast-paced learning.
- A passion to drive action, solve problems, and capture value.
- Strong critical thinking and entrepreneurial skills.
Come explore your passions, discover your abilities, and learn new skills to further your impact and reach your greatest potential.